About the Dunedin Ice Hockey Association (DIHA)
The DIHA (originally the Dunedin Ice Hockey Club) was formed in 1990 and is an incorporated society and a charitable organisation.
The DIHA’s constitution was last updated at the 2019 AGM. A copy of the constitution is found here. The DIHA constitution lists the objectives of the DIHA as:
- To initiate, organise, conduct, foster and promote the sport of amateur ice hockey in the Dunedin area, making it accessible to all ages and skill levels.
- To make Rules and By-Laws for the control of the sport and its administration in Dunedin, and to require all members to recognise the DIHA as having the final right to determine, whether by way of appeal or otherwise, all disputes in relation to the sport, this Constitution, Rules and By-Laws.
- To facilitate, initiate, organise and conduct programmes and competitions designed to develop the skills of its players, teams, coaches and officials.
- To foster and promote good sportsmanship.
To fulfill these objectives:
- The DIHA, Dunedin Ice Skating Club and Dunedin Curling Club are partners in Ice Sports Dunedin, the incorporated society that manages the Dunedin Ice Stadium.
- The DIHA is a participating club in the Southern Ice Hockey League (“Southern League” or “SIHL”).The SIHL includes all ice hockey clubs south of Christchurch including from Gore, Alexandra, Queenstown, Tekapo and Naseby.
- The DIHA is an affiliate of the New Zealand Ice Hockey Federation (“NZIHF”).
- The DIHA registers Dunedin ice hockey players and associates with the local, regional, and national associations.
- The DIHA facilitates practices with coaching to help develop player and team skills at all levels.
- The DIHA facilitates local games and leagues in Dunedin across all ages and skills.
- The DIHA facilitates off- and on-ice officials.
Teams under the name 'Penguins' have represented the DIHA in Southern League competitions across all age groups from 1992. Teams under other names have also represented the DIHA at different times in various competitions locally and regionally.
Ice hockey is played at all ages in Dunedin with players active in Kiwi-Hockey, Under 12, Under 15, Under 18, Womens, Senior and Masters.
The DIHA works in partnership with other ice hockey programmes in Dunedin including:
- the Dunedin High Schools Ice Hockey League, and
- Adult Learn to Play and Adult Social Leagues organized by Ice Hockey Otago, and
- the Dunedin Thunder representative teams which play in the New Zealand Ice Hockey Federation League against teams based in Queenstown, Christchurch and Auckland. There are Under-15, Under-18 and Senior Dunedin Thunder teams, and
- activities organised by the Dunedin Ice Stadium including Kiwi-Hockey.